Friday, July 25, 2014

"What this Internship has Taught Me"


By: Erica Reed

In talking to community members, engaging in research and communicating with Planned Parenthood’s Harrisburg team, I have diversified and expanded my understanding of women’s health issues this summer.  I have enjoyed learning not only Pennsylvania’s legislative policy, but also the culture behind the political decisions.  I’m very much looking forward to interviewing Representative Frankel and Senator Schwank of the Pennsylvania House and Senate this upcoming week.  The questions I’ll be asking will include their involvement in the Agenda for Women’s Health!

My understanding of Planned Parenthood has also shifted, in a dramatic and positive way.  Planned Parenthood is more than just a health care provider for women within the U.S.  Its true greatness is rooted in the fact that it is an organization founded on policies and run by individuals who encourage women to not just maintain, but celebrate their bodies.  Planned Parenthood caters to women’s health needs, regardless of what they may be, without patient-shaming or judgment.  And that is wildly progressive, even in 2014.

The most important thing this internship has done for me in the past weeks is prove I’m on the right track.  It’s easy to lose sight of your goals in a society that more often than not devalues not only women, but what comes out of their mouths.  Being able to spend time in an environment of people who are like minded thinkers has restored my confidence in not only what I believe, but in what I aim to do in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment