Friday, August 24, 2012

Keeping Up the Good Fight for Women's Rights!

Two short months ago, I timidly entered the office of Planned Parenthood in Philadelphia, unaware of what was to come. I was excited but more nervous to start a new job that I didn't really know anything about. Now, as the summer winds down and my internship comes to an end, I can't help but feel sad and already nostalgic of the good times that were had and the hard work that was accomplished.

When I first arrived at Steve Santarsiero's campaign office in Yardley, I was greeted by lots of friendly faces, including my fellow intern and partner in crime: Heidi. Although Heidi is five years older than me, we still shared one thing in common: we are both passionate about women's rights. For months I have wanted to get involved with the issues of reproductive healthcare and women's rights (other than reading PP emails) and I was ecstatic to finally get the chance. For 2 days of the week, Heidi and I canvassed for Steve in the beautiful neighborhoods surrounding Steve's campaign office. Steve stood for education, the environment, creating jobs by infrastructure, and of course, women's rights. I was happy to be helping out a candidate who was so honest and well-intentioned. For 1 day of the week, we performed a Planned Parenthood canvass and targeted only the women of Yardley, which gave me the chance to connect with ladies of all ages who cared about healthcare and freedom of choice like I do. The other interns at Steve's office were all around my age, very friendly, and super helpful. I got along with each one of them, and within the walls of the office, we were able to get work done, talk politics, share ideals, educate each other, and most importantly, goof off. Although some days were slower than others, I still left work each day feeling like I contributed to a greater cause.

When I look back on this summer, I will remember a few highlights: working the Planned Parenthood table at the Coldplay concert, handing out condoms and getting petitions on the streets of Philadelphia for First Friday, attending one of Steve's fundraisers, and meeting some truly wonderful people who are out to make a difference in the lives of others like I am. Although this was just a summer internship, I believe I gained so much experience and knowledge from this opportunity Planned Parenthood gave me. I now feel ready to go off to college and study Politics and Feminist Studies and to show my professors and peers what Planned Parenthood is all about!


This upcoming election is going to be crucial to the lives of millions of women but I have faith that come November 6th, we will all rise together and be the strong political voice that the women of America need. My internship may be over, but my work here in this country will never be done, until every last citizen is given the equal rights that they deserve.

-Jamie Epstein, Planned Parenthood of Southeastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment